Zimbabwean Fried Fish
4-5 tilapia or bream fish, descaled,cleaned inside and cut into
medium sized pieces
Vegetable oil to deep fry
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon royco powder (chicken flavour)
1 tablespoon garlic powder (ginger -garlic paste is a great alternative)
1 fresh lemon squeezed
Salt to season
1. Place fish pieces in a large bowl and season with salt. In a separate bowl mix the spices with the lemon then marinate the fish, cover and place in refrigerator for 4hours.
2. In a deep fryer, heat oil and check if hot enough by placing a small piece of bread in the oil, if hot enough, the piece should brown within seconds.
3. Now place fish in the hot oil (batch by batch) and reduce heat.
4. Meanwhile, Preheat oven to 180degrees / 350F/ Gas 4. Line an oven tray and place on aside.
5. When done with frying, fish should be golden brown. Lay the pieces on the lined oven tray and place in oven for 15-20 minutes. This will help the fish to cook well inside as well as making the fish nice and crispy…
Enjoy with sadza or rice!